Followers

Monday 9 May 2011

Documentaries and soap-operas do NOT mix.

Well, it's been a while. But now my exams have dropped off for a few weeks I decided to lightly review some of the latest documentaries I've seen.

The one that jumps to mind is 'If Drugs Were Legal'. There were some good interviews and thought-provoking facts throughout. Overall the documentary is ruined, though, by a soap-style scenario/sub plot that runs throughout the whole thing. At first, I thought it was a neat idea; but five minutes in and I was wishing it would just get on with the interviews and facts. I hate fucking soaps. Even more, I hate soaps with bad acting.


I have now watched all of Louis Theroux's documentaries. Not much I can say on this (mostly because I am terrible at explaining things). Every single documentary (apart from the 'when Louis met...' series, that's not really my thing) was an incredible show of Louis' talent and guts at a journalist.

Other Documentaries I have watched lately are:
'Dispatches: Mark Thomas on CocaCola' - pretty interesting with lots of fun-facts
'Alaska Pipeline' - Informative but not that interesting
'BBC Horizon: Most of our universe is missing' - Very interesting and well formatted
'BBC Horizon: A war on science' - Quite a fun watch. Looked into a subculture (almost) of people who propose an alternative to the evolution theory. The format of the show builds up the scales in favour of this new theory... then completely destroys it with various scientists and professors who systematically destroy it.
'BBC Horizon: How to kill a human being' - an insightful look into forensic science and the art of a perfect murder.

1 comment:

  1. I'm interested in watching that last one you posted. It could be informative. lol

    ReplyDelete